Legal Project Manager
Salary £70000 - £90000 per annum + Excellent benefits
Consultant Eric Fleury
Date posted 07 February 2017
A tier one US law firm has be building out its Legal Project Management (LPM) capabilities in an effort to provide innovative and efficient legal solutions/services to its clients. They have actually had more lawyers and business services personnel undertake LPM Certification than any other law firm and are looking to continue to build LPM capabilities. To that end, they are now looking for a dynamic Legal Project Manager to refine their LPM offering in London.
The primary objective of the Legal Project Manager is to provide high quality project management support throughout a matter’s lifecycle to legal teams and also to assist those teams with client-facing project update communications.
This role requires you to have strong project management expertise/experience, as well as the polished interpersonal skills, flexibility and pragmatism required to tailor LPM techniques, tools and processes to meet the client’s and legal team’s matter-specific needs.
You must have a track record of delivering projects on time and to budget, and the ability to challenge the status quo and streamline efforts of the engagement team. Legal project managers will also be called upon to help implement LPM best practices throughout the firm and support the development and delivery of LPM training.
- Guide matter teams through the LPM process including scoping, planning, budgeting, executing and controlling the work, cost and resources on a matter. Contribute to the discussions of matter management strategy, goals and related deliverables
- Skillfully adapt LPM tools and techniques to the circumstances
- Work with partners, legal staff and relevant business services personnel to create and monitor scope documents, staffing plans and budgets. Work with the firm’s Billing and Collections staff to develop appropriate pricing structures for matters. Also work with them to develop task codes and coordinate the implementation and utilisation of those codes. Must be able to track and analyse actual matter time and costs against budget, and proactively address expected budget variances
- Continuously identify improvements to the LPM processes and support the change management of implementing these LPM processes
- Develop project plan, prepare notes and follow up on action items
- Plan and track matter timelines, milestones and dependencies
- At close of matter, contribute to discussion about lessons learned and to identify templates for future reuse. Help reflect this input in future engagement handling through improvements to training, tools and techniques
- Train, coach and mentor attorneys and business services personnel on how to employ LPM on matters. Assist with formal training programs
To be considered for this role, you will need to demonstrate the below:
- Necessary requirements
- Prior experience working with professional service firms (preferably law firms) or Consultancy as a Project Manager
- Experience in leading complex projects and implementing change in a global organisation, as well as the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels
- Formal project management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, PMP, or equivalent) and Familiarity with Lean/Six Sigma project/process principles
- Experience using process mapping/planning techniques
- Highly desirable requirements
- Expertise in LPM and legal process re-engineering techniques and tools. Ability to quickly comprehend and explain complex business issues and practices relevant to project management of a matter
- Shows strong matter management and leadership skill
- Excellent understanding of law firm economics and financial management (e.g., pricing, budgeting)
- Effective at closely monitoring legal spend relative to budget and proactively intervening to help the legal team deliver results to expectations and on budget
- Familiar with one or more e-billing platforms and able to spot opportunities to improve its effectiveness through process analysis and re-engineering
The Legal Project Manager role is an excellent opportunity to join a leading, global organisation and would give you a platform to deliver real value. Please do get in touch to discuss further.