Salary £40,000 - £45,000 per annum
Consultant Abdul Walid
Date posted 22 June 201811 Slingsby Place, St Martin's Courtyard London, WC2E 9AB Robert Walters United Kingdom
A rapidly expanding home furnishings retailer is currently recruiting a Transport Manager to join their management team in their West Midlands office
Reporting to the business leadership team, you will be responsible for the management of a 2-man transport delivery operation both locally and nationally.
Key elements to your role/responsibilities will include;
- Recruit, manage and develop a team of drivers/driver mates to provide a highly customer focused home delivery service to customers.
- Take the lead role in planning, costing and allocating routes to maintain high levels of productivity and ensuring sufficient flexibility is in place to meet the varying and changing needs of the customer, and the business.
- Ensure that all company vehicles are compliant with all legal and contractual requirements, and where necessary escalating any identified issues and recommending resolution to the Head Office General Manager.
- To effectively manage driver behaviours and fuel efficiencies through active monitoring of route planning and telematics management, providing statistical operational performance information and reporting/updating the Operations Director on a daily basis.
- To review traffic operations and propose improvements.
- Develop and implement a proactive, planned and structured approach to the service and maintenance of fleet vehicles, managing within budget and ensuring vehicles are fit for purpose.
- To proactively take the lead in resolving unforeseen problems as they occur ensuring the appropriate resolutions of these and to utilise the learning plan enabling swift execution where future repetition occurs.
- To ensure drivers conduct daily vehicle security checks V’s delivery manifest ensuring standards of security are achieved and maintained on a daily basis.
- To issue drivers with a daily fuel expenditure and complete daily reconciliation for the same, highlighting any anomalies immediately and passed to accounts promptly.
- Ensure compliance to company operational and health and safety policies and procedures.
- To cover holidays and other absences in the transport department as required.
- To achieve company targets both individually and collectively.
- To effectively communicate daily instructions to drivers and conduct debriefs appropriately when they arrive back in the distribution centre.
The ideal Transport Manager will have the following skills and experience:
- Previous experience in leading a business through a significant period of growth
- Significant experience in managing a fast paced and complex transport operation
- Experience within a 2-man delivery operation would be advantageous
- Proven track record of planning and forecasting
- Communicates openly, motivates and inspires, creates a positive work environment, manages team performance, sets a good example for the team. Provide constructive feedback in a clear manner
- Develops effective relationships, treats others respect, demonstrates sensitivity to diversity, harnesses difference, fosters positive workplace relationships
- Provides employees, colleagues and business partners with candid and regular feedback, provides employees with development opportunities, supports employees with career opportunities, inspires others to develop themselves