Salary Competitive salary
Consultant Emma Sargeant
Date posted 02 May 201811 Slingsby Place, St Martin's Courtyard London, WC2E 9AB Robert Walters United Kingdom
Wiggle are currently recruiting for an experienced Product Developer to join the team based in Portsmouth. As the Product Developer, you will report directly into the group sales promotion lead, working closely to establish and maintain consistency of approach to display advertising across each brand and country.
Wiggle inspires everybody, everywhere, everyday; to experience the joy of sport. Wiggle is an online retailer of Cycle, Run, Swim, Triathlon & Outdoor product, in over 100 countries. With offices in Portsmouth (UK), Wolverhampton (UK), Taipei (ROC) and Sydney (AUS), Wiggle are a truly global company; with multi-language websites, customer services, and free worldwide delivery. Wiggle staff live the brand. Being cyclists, runners, swimmers and outdoor enthusiasts; they share a love of sport.
Being active in the great outdoors is a great way to get people together, create a sense of fulfilment and enjoy life. Wiggle’s aim is to give as many people as possible the choice to access-cycling and tri-sports; to experience aforementioned benefits for themselves. Wiggle’s staff live the brand. Being cyclists, runners, swimmers and outdoor enthusiasts; they share a love of sport.
To work with the Product Manager and Designers to design, develop and manufacture ranges of products in line with range strategy and profit requirements of Wiggle. To ensure originality and effectiveness of all products through design and development.
- Develop and produce a range of products for an assigned project for a defined customer type and season
- Number of designs
- Number of agreed products
- Target selling price,
- Target cost price
- Target margin
The developer will take an assigned brief and work with all members of the own brand team from product manager to designer to buyer and merchandiser to ensure products are designed, developed and manufactured to Wiggle’s required standard. They will ensure the products are correctly set up on the website, that the marketing team are able to create relevant campaigns. They will work with operations to ensure packaging and delivery is efficient and will take returns information to improve future activity.
- To form strong working relationship with designers and factories
- To develop and manufacture innovative and good quality products for our target customer, ensuring maximised profit margins, in line with agreed strategy for each range.
- Factory and vendor selection by project and product, taking a full view of CSR issues. Definition and application of vendor scorecard.
- Present for sign off all ranges in line with critical path, and then subsequently all key sample approval points. To maintain a full sample library for future reference.
- Negotiate costs with suppliers on an ongoing basis, for overall garments and also value engineering as development progresses, working with Product Developers.
- Manage individual projects with supporting documentation, sampling & testing to a critical path, ensuring all products and ranges are launched on time.
- Work with factories and partners to develop products in all aspects from trim to fit to fabric, agreeing price in line with packaging, labelling, MOQ’s, Lead times, shipping etc
- Maintain full development records to protect Wiggle copyright and to ensure no conflicts with other designers and competitors.
- To maintain knowledge in developing markets, technologies and design to ensure Wiggle Own Brands remain at the front of product developments
- To review customer feedback and roll this into constant product review and improvement.
- Seasonal Range launch - on time, in full
- Full technical specification and design records maintained in full
- Full product testing records maintained
- Product sales
- Product Returns
- Year on year, order by order cost reduction
- Net retained margin by supplier, in £’s and %
- Customer NPS score by product and brand.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree standard in a relevant field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with a sportswear brand or a similar role.
- Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Office skills
- Italian or Chinese as additional languages to English would be useful.
- Sports business experience
- Sports participation
- Technical garment creation skills
- Garment production and manufacturing knowledge
- Fabric (and trim) market knowledge
- Experience of Far East business culture
- Creative design capability
- Commercially numerate
- IT skills in relevant software packages
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation writing and delivery skills