Head of Legal
Consultant Ed Browne
Date posted 13 October 2016
A rarely available Head of Legal role has become available with an Energy business based in Birmingham City centre. Reporting to the group Finance Director this is an exciting opportunity to lead the legal strategy for the business going forward.
About the Head of Legal role:
This is a new and exciting Head of Legal position within a fast growing energy company based in Birmingham. You will develop and lead the legal strategy across the business and act as a key point of contact regarding any business legal matters.
To direct the legal activities of the business in the UK, to protect and safeguard their commercial interests, ranging from drafting of procurement contracts, transaction documentation and managing any litigation as required (including any regulatory cases in conjunction with the Regulatory team).
- Define and implement the “operating model“ for legal, balancing internal and external activity to deliver a cost effective service
- Managing the internal legal framework to ensure that mechanisms are in place to monitor fulfilment of legal obligations (i.e. relevant policies and procedures)
- Management of the company’s legal interest, across a broad range of commercial, regulatory and employment law matters
- Input and review all material contracts with 3rd party suppliers
- Support in key transaction documentation (e.g. Sale and Purchase agreements)
- Support the regulatory team with interpretation of the Electricity and Gas acts
- Advise management on broad aspects of employment law
- Responding to legal consultations, giving due consideration to business objectives.
- Ensure all legal requests are completed robustly (calling on business stakeholders where necessary)
- Continually monitor and assess legal compliance and risk to the business, whilst engaging with the appropriate stakeholders to implement any appropriate actions.
- Managing the internal legal framework to ensure that we have the mechanisms in place to monitor fulfilment of any legal obligations
- Leading the legal input and review of all material contracts with third party suppliers
- Maintaining a register of legal and regulatory risks
- Management of company secretary responsibilities
- Support the Group CFO in establishing and implementing a more rigorous governance model, including attendance and governance for UK Board meetings.
- Potential that the function with take over Data Protection Act responsibilities, with recruitment of a subject matter expert supporting group wide activity
- To assess and manage legal work across the business, whilst managing and monitoring any external legal costs used, where applicable
- The ability to communicate effectively across a broad range on external and internal stakeholders
- Managerial skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organised and ability to run a large agenda across a broad range of activity
- Ability to offer practical advice across a broad range of legal matters
- Resilient and able to hold personal independence and opinion
- Well-developed stakeholder management skills
- Commercially focused and risk aware
- A hands on negotiator who can create robust and collaborative partnerships
You will be a UK qualified solicitor (or overseas equivalent) with evidence of good quality training and commercial experience gained from one of the UK’s leading law firms and may have a minimum of 7 years PQE but this does not preclude someone with more qualified experience from applying for the role. Energy experience is highly advantageous, but is not essential.
For more information on this Head of Legal role or any other legal roles please contact Ed Browne for a confidential discussion on 01212602583 or by email - Edward.firstname.lastname@example.org.