Technical Project Manager
Location North West England
Consultant James Perry
Date posted 09 November 2016
An opportunity has arisen for a Technical Project Manager for my financial services company. You will ideally have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the IT industry, preferably 10 years, with a career that most likely started in systems engineering, systems support or possibly development.
About the role:
The role is to work with disparate teams and data sources, from both IT and the business, to identify applications that can be decommissioned or have their environments downsized. Following the movement of core business functionality to a 3rd party hosted platform there are many legacy applications that can potentially be removed or rationalised.
This is across all environments ie Production, Pre-Prod, Test & Dev. It is important that the candidate can trace all dependent components of an application, from the virtual through the physical layers, including firewall rules, network ports, servers, databases and storage and ensure that when decommissioning, as much as possible is reclaimed.
This will include licenses where applicable. They will be expected to work with the various teams to make recommendations on the downsizing of environments based on the new usage patterns and test and development plans. They will manage the entire decommissioning process from initial identification to hardware disposal.
The objective is to rationalise the environments and consolidate the remaining applications onto an efficient number of servers, thereby freeing up physical hardware from the compute and storage layers, as swing kit, for a full data centre move that will take place Q2 next year.
The will work within the Business Change function, with the data centre PM and will therefore have to form working relationships with members of the IT teams, rather than being a member of those teams.
- Investigative and collaborative approach
- Detail oriented
- Great analysis and Excel skills
- Used to working with large complex sets of data and streamlining into a repeatable process
- Basic MS Project
- Basic budget management
- Recent application and / or hardware decommissioning experience
- Exposure to: Microsoft Licensing
- Exposure to: Hardware disposal
- Exposure to: VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix & SQL
- Exposure to: Server Blades and Enclosures, Cisco Networking, NetApps Storage
You should have:
- Prince2 and / or PMP
- Insurance or regulated environment experience
- Low level Technical Infrastructure Qualification eg. CCNA, MCSE or VMware Certified Associate (not CCIE or VCAP)
Please send me your CV ASAP if you are interested.