Lab Software Engineering Lead
Salary £100,000 - £150,000 per annum + Car+Bonus+Benefits
Location Bristol City CentreFULL_TIME
Consultant Brett Mears
Date posted 12 September 2018 2018-09-122018-11-11 it UK Robert Walters United Kingdom
We are currently partnering with a Global Financial Services organisation based in Bristol and have a current need for a Lab Software Engineering Lead, £100,000 - £150,000 + Car Allowance + Bonus +Car
Lab Software Engineering Lead
£100,000 - £150,000 + Car Allowance+ Bonus+ Benefits
Robert Walters is partnering with a Global Financial Services Organisation based in Bristol, they have an exciting new opportunity for a Engineering Lead with great career progression with a large enterprise level business.
The Lab Engineering Lead is a transformational leader who works collaboratively with other Lab roles to create empowered Teams who are motivated to take on business problems and realise value to customers through excellence in execution.
The role will work alongside the Lab Product Lead in shaping the vision for the Lab, and as a result centre on setting the strategic direction for the engineering teams to demonstrate thought leadership on contemporary technical delivery, across the entire life-cycle, from idea to realisation of value.
You will be accountable for the Run function of software systems that the Lab owns, in terms of incident, problem management and resolution, including 24x7 support. This also includes system risks, software vendor management, route to live and system design. A core goal of the Lab Engineering Lead is to work with Lab Chapters to understand where systems need improvement and work with the Lab Product Lead to prioritise system improvements alongside the delivery of product features. This will often mean communicating the importance of system improvements in business terms so that benefits are clearly realised.
Responsible for improving the Lab technical position whilst working and coaching a wide variety of technical Engineering disciplines, including Software Engineers, DevOps and Quality Engineers. The
Lab Engineering Lead also increases Engineering efficiency, quality and release velocity whilst recruiting, retaining and developing engineering talent by supporting and pioneering Engineering Chapters, Guilds and Community activities. The Lab Engineering Lead fosters a "Fail Fast, Learn Faster" mentality within Teams to experiment and test new ways of engineering, to act as a change agent for engineering and team culture, fostering a test and learn approach, systems thinking and user experience led design.
- Excellent collaboration, interpersonal and communication skills
- Passion for coaching other engineers and building a strong team
- culture through Chapter development
- Able to work effectively with multi-disciplinary, internal and external geographically distributed teams across the project life-cycle
- Is an advocate for Engineering, provides a voice to engineers within the teams, identifying and supporting their teams in resolution of impediments and issues
- Continuous curiosity to learn and develop themselves with industry best practice methods and tooling
- Ability to motivate to challenge the status quo and an appreciation and understanding of first principles thinking
- Are technology agnostic and are willing to adapt their approach in pursuit of the best solution
- Are anchored to their core engineering area and carry the ability to test, learn and mentor others
- Understand Systems Thinking and Service Design to mitigate reactive solutions that leads to further technical debt
- Understand the benefits of measuring change and works with the team to provide reassurance and mitigate behavioural change
- Understand agile and the relationship between agile definitions and automated delivery
- Fully apply BDD & TDD and writes upfront tests against team defined agile definitions and delivery stories
- Strong knowledge of the entire software development life-cycle and experience in end to end delivery of software products
- Significant experience with agile development methods & tooling e.g. Scrum, Kanban, Jira & Confluence, and experience of leading & working as part of an agile team
- Strong software development background essential, along with knowledge of modern software development toolsets including
- DevOps Continuous Integration, and Delivery