IT Support Manager
Salary £70,000 - £100,000 per annum
Consultant Darius Goodarzi
Date posted 11 September 20192019-09-11 2019-11-10 banking London London GB GBP 70000 100000 100000 YEAR Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.co.uk https://www.robertwalters.co.uk/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
My client, a global Investment Bank, are looking for an IT Support Manager to join their growing team.
About the IT Support Manager Role:
My client is looknig for an energetic Engineer with a passion for IT and a positive can-do mind-set. This will be your role for approximately 60% of your time. The remaining 40% you spend on building up expertise and developing the people in your team. You are enthusiastic about transferring your knowledge to others and coaching Chapter members and oversee their personal development.
You will lead a team of 7 Engineers from a people management perspective. You hierarchically oversee a chapter of 7-10 Engineers, implying the people management. This covers the recruiting of new talents, people administration, personal development and evaluation.
You will be an ambassador for cultural change and a role model in terms of the new Agile Way of Working: ensure continuous learning based on feedback, taking into account the different backgrounds of people across cultures and geographies.
Moreover, you will required to have the following:
- Experience with supporting and changing Work Place Services and Infrastructure
- Experience with managing IT Vendors in delivering end-to-end services
- Develops individuals and teams and maintains a high level of performance, taking into account teams can work at different locations, countries and time zones
- Management responsibility for 7-10 Engineers sharing passion and expert knowledge in one of the fields of the IT Area
- Highly proficient at identifying international market trends that may impact the way of working of IT professionals, and able to adopt and implement these trends
- Highly proficient at helping the organisation structure complex engineering issues so they can be completely redesigned, rather than improved incrementally: technology, development methodologies, end-to-end testing, Identity and Access Management, IT Risk control, infra provisioning, Change Management, CI/CD
What they are looking for:
- Management experience in getting the best out of people, when working with multiple cultures at the same time; preferably, in an Agile organisation
- Achieve optimal results by empowering people and giving them responsibility, at the same time provoking them, challenging them and keeping them on the ball; encouraging people to act on their innovative ideas and proposals
- Have a keen IT market focus: you are passionate about major trends in the way of working including, for example, Lean IT, continuous delivery, cloud processes, etc.
- Inspiring and exuding energy and passion
- Your management approach is based on facts, data and empathy
- Experience in developing and implementing IT policy
- Excellent analytical skills
- Focused on collaboration: sets aside own ego in the interests of achieving the best results – helps others to achieve success
If the above is of interest and you would like to find out more please call me on 0207 509 8040 or apply to this ad.