Runtime Engineer / Middleware
Salary £80,000 - £83,000 per annum
Consultant Lorraine Carroll
Date posted 25 July 20192019-08-05 2019-09-23 it Glasgow Glasgow GB GBP 80000 83000 83000 YEAR Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.co.uk https://www.robertwalters.co.uk/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
As a Runtime Engineer you will be infrastructure focused working within the Application team and Java developers. This is not a Java Developer position! You will have accountability to work with the vendors to provide the highest quality language packages for the Java developers, provide technical leadership on JVM optimisation, and help shape the methods to expose the very best open source language components.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify, prioritise and plan initiatives within the Engineering function
- Provide Java Runtime solutions for servers and workstations
- Engineer the distribution and availability of the JDK and JRE so it can be consumed by applications for hosting and developers for application coding.
- Support and help drive the adoption of OpenJDK, working closely with application teams as they perform migrations.
- Own the roadmap for the JDK and associated services that support Java development.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Strong experience in application hosting. Designing and supporting java hosting platforms.
- IT systems automation, includes scripting, configuration management tools (Chef)
- Experience with software packaging for Linux and Windows systems.
- Experience with tuning, debugging and optimisation.
- Experience of owning technical solutions within a technology function using Agile methodology
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- Chef recipes.
- Security experience in system architectures and designs.
- Strong Linux and Windows administration skills.
- Experience with docker containerisation – hosting and developing containers.
- Experience using Amazon Web Services and designing architectures using AWS.