Head of Data Engineering
Consultant Tom Chambers
Date posted 17 November 2016
A leading consumer research and data consultancy is seeking an experienced Head of Engineering to drive its big data engineering team based in London and the US The aim of this team is to create a world class team to transform the way the company applies advanced analytics to service clients globally. You will be given full autonomy to build and innovate as part of delivering this objective.
You will have an extensive background in devOps and data engineering will be expected to manage and grow the team of data engineers responsible for their specific ETL pipelines, database utilities library, and their computing and database platforms.
Within this role you will be expected to lead a team of engineers that:
- Maintains the scalable, redundant and high availability coloc. and AWS based infrastructure
- Builds a robust suite of libraries for ETL and data manipulation
- Experimenting with the latest big-data systems to ensure our tech stack is future proof
- Acting as line manager for engineering team and being responsible for performance management, talent retention and growth of the team
- Structuring incoming tasks and delegating responsibility appropriately, while playing to the strengths of the team
- Acting as a consensus builder or technical decision maker where appropriate
- Managing and mentoring junior team members.
- Facilitating close collaboration with IT, development and data science teams
- Prioritising tasks, thinking forward and planning for growth of technical systems
You will have experience with the architecture of high-performance data platforms, and a deep knowledge of data engineering processes, server infrastructure, and web technologies. Knowledge of industry standard technology such as aspects of the SMACK stack with good awareness of the trade-offs associated with different data storage schemes (e.g. relational databases) is highly desirable.
- Expertise in a technical management position.
- Ability to spot and solve performance/personal issues, while making the most of individual skill sets within team
- Demonstrable management and interpersonal skills. A desire to coach, mentor and build a small but mission-critical team within a tech start-up environment
- Comfortable with sometimes ambiguous and unstructured environments: capable of seeking clarity and bringing structure to a problem before designing a solution
- Ability to balance multiple projects, often with simultaneous and competing deadlines
- Strong technical skills covering programming (ideally Python or Scala), databases, devOps, software engineering and web technologies
- Experience with cloud computing and database services, preferably AWS
- Proficiency with bash scripting and task automation
- Familiarity with programming best-practices, design patterns, version control systems, and parallel programming
- Knowledge of object-oriented and functional programming, e.g., with Scala
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds
If you are interested in this exciting Data Scientist - Transaction Monitoring opportunity please contact me on 07833 401 229 or click to apply.