Risk Process Control, Control Officer (CCO)
Salary £90,000 - £110,000 per annum
Consultant Pardeep Thind
Date posted 09 August 2018 2018-08-092018-10-08 banking UK Robert Walters United Kingdom
The role of Control Officer is aligned to the asset class / business line and forms part of a GM Operations Control Office function. To assist in ensuring controls and procedures are suitably designed and operating correctly and in doing so providing Risk Owners and Control Owners reasonable assurances that business activities are undertaken with an appropriate control environment.
Impact on Business
- Help facilitate the business in the effective design of the control framework and to ensure its ongoing operating effectiveness within an agreed risk appetite.
- Help drive the conduct agenda for the asset class / business function, in conjunction with the Head of EMEA Operations
- Assist in the design and to help monitor the operating effectiveness of the control framework, escalating control issues as necessary
- Design and implement new policies and procedures for and on behalf of the global asset class in accordance with the Bank’s policy / risk appetite.
- Work closely with cross-business functions to ensure robust controls are in place and act as an additional point of escalation with regards upstream/downstream control issues. Influence functions in their remediation of control gaps.
- Review the output of desk/control reviews, thematic reviews and other remediation/assurance work and monitor actions to ensure effective closure in a timely manner
- Governance Forums:
- Ensure that the agenda / contents of the OBCC and other forums as required is ‘fit for purpose’ so that key control issues and emerging risks are appropriately discussed and addressed.
- Act as an additional point of escalation with respect to internal control issues (including red flags) for the asset class
- Act as one of the principal contacts point for Audit for the business
- Monitor the implementation of the Management Action Plans (MAPS) to ensure timely remediation and enhancements and incorporated in the control environment
- Drive the identification of control enhancements within the current control environment and therefore the control change agenda for the asset class
- Challenge and advise on other business changes which may impact key controls for the business
Manage any staff in the team ensuring:
- Objectives and priorities are set, allocated and managed
- Good performance is praised, poor/inconsistent performance./ areas needing improvement are promptly identified and resolved
- Staff of sufficient calibre and experience are in place
- Support the Operations Line teams and the Chief Control Officer’s teams in the development of a stronger control and conduct culture for the asset class / business line
Management of Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements)
Observation of Internal Controls (Compliance Policy / FIM requirements)
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of internal control, governance/policy and risk management in Markets Operations
- Minimum of 5 years’ Experience in Operations or risk/control roles within a markets business
- Strong understanding of Markets Operations business and products
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical and project management skills to enhance standards, policies and controls
- Well-developed leadership and people management skills, able to drive change and provide positive influence to achieve organisation goals. Excellent stakeholder management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to negotiate and work effectively with senior business management across business lines and geographies
- Strong problem solving and prioritization skills and be able to perform multitask under pressure with a keen eye for detail