Quantiative Research Developer
Salary £80,000 - £120,000 per annum
Consultant Ben Litvinoff
Date posted 13 June 201811 Slingsby Place, St Martin's Courtyard London, WC2E 9AB Robert Walters United Kingdom
Contribute to quantitative development within the Global Equity Research team which provides development and maintenance of the core research framework and applications to support both active and passive investment team’s portfolio construction and investment decisions. Assist in the continual improvement of the global investment process by assisting quantitative analysts carry out quantitative research projects and analysis.
Impact on Business
- Develop and maintain decision support tooling used in the research, development and implementation of existing and new investment strategies.
- Collaborate with business and HOST designers, developers, and project managers to complete, thoroughly test, and deliver innovative software solutions.
- Ensure robustness and accuracy of research tools and data used to drive investment decisions for the business.
- Ensure consistency of approach across the business wherever possible and develop the highest standards of governance.
- Assist in producing analysis on investments, using qualitative and quantitative tools.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Ensure proliferation of investment risk ideas within the global analytics teams, the front office business and senior management
Leadership & Teamwork
- Close teamwork needed with rest of the research and investment teams to make sure the need of all members are reflected in the frameworks and platforms being used.
- Maintain close relationship with investment teams to develop tooling to support the investment process.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Development of various data cleansing and restructuring algorithms to ensure that data used in the backtests and research for new trading strategies is accurate.
- Make sure that all deliveries of results of various research initiatives is provided quickly to stakeholders.
- Time pressured environment, need to be able to quickly and accurately turn round new projects.
- Needs to be able to manage / prioritize workflows for self to be able to hit target deadlines.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of technologies and method required for the best solutions being achieved for the tasks at hand.
- Provide support on implementation of the team’s business strategy and continuing projects.
- The equity quant research team has a central role in the development of new equity strategies and ensuring existing funds are aligned with our core investment process. The role involves liaising with senior desk heads as well as CIOs in London and overseas. The role holder needs to be confident, articulate and credible when discussing the quant strategy and capable of delivering high quality results in a time pressured environment.
- This role sits within the business and focuses on the ongoing development of Visualiser, the active equity research platform delivering it to the highest possible quality in a quick and reliable manner. For this, the role holder will require high level knowledge of full-stack software development, have experience working with database structures and be able to clearly capture and communicate business requirements and user’s desires. The role holder is expected to know all standard software development practices (code versioning, documentation, Agile methodology, IT process flows in a corporate environment and user training).
- Must be comfortable working in a collegiate and open environment, but one that also actively encourages debate and disagreement. The role holder must be willing and able to defend their solution and design views but at the same time negotiate with the IT side of the business in getting their solution implemented. They must be passionate about software development and share the team vision.
- Primary responsibilities and challenges of the role will include:
- Working in the Global Equity Research and with other teams and stakeholders to design, build and support Visualiser.
- Be responsible for making sure that all requirements defined by the research teams are successfully delivered through the application and ensure that these are understood, reviewed and signed off.
- Collaborate with Operations, Services and Technology designers, developers, and project managers to complete, thoroughly test, and deliver innovative software solutions.
- Be in close contact with the impacted business/functions throughout the project lifecycle, constantly ensuring that the solution remains relevant and will deliver the expected business benefit.
- Perform functional analysis (data, systems and interfaces). Translate business requirements into functional requirements and designs. Implement those requirements seeking efficient and effective solutions to business problems.
- Be proactive about recognising potential improvements or impending problems.
- Take ownership of training and support documentation for deliverables.
- Troubleshoot business process issues, data and software issues.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
- Experience in professional development capacity with extensive programming experience and good understanding of solid development principals. Experience with the design and implantation of fully integrated back end to front end platforms essential together with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- BS/MS/Phd in computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics or equivalent.
- Knowledge of market fundamentals in several asset classes but mostly equities.
- Excellent communication, analytical, and programming skills.
- Extensive experience with R and C#.
- Experience with relational databases (MSSQL Server preferred).
- Experience with ASP.NET MVC a plus.
- Familiar with script automation in Windows (DOS or PowerShell), data visualisation and source control and agile development principals.