Junior Product Controller
Salary £45,000 - £60,000 per annum
Consultant William Smati
Date posted 19 March 201811 Slingsby Place, St Martin's Courtyard London, WC2E 9AB Robert Walters United Kingdom
Exciting opportunity for a junior Product Controller to join one of London's leading hedge-funds based in the City. Experience in Rates Product Control would be a plus, however not essential.
The primary responsibilities of Product and Funding Controlers are to produce and analyse the daily trading activities, to report the trading divisions' profits and losses and to verify the values of positions held by the trading desks, both securities and derivative. This role requires extensive liaison with the trading desks, the Risk Management Group and the Operations Teams, as well as with colleagues in Controllers. Product Controllers are expected to develop a good understanding of the products they monitor and of the strategies used by the trading desk to generate revenue. The function has become increasingly technical in content and offers a challenging and interesting role, which would suit a dynamic, bright and ambitious individual with a drive to succeed.
- Preparing the daily profit and loss account for trading desks, involving an assessment of the nature of revenue generated in the context of market moves and risk held as well as reconciliation between front office systems and sub-ledger as well as the firm's general ledger.
- Producing and reviewing profit and loss attribution and commentary for the bank's trading, investing and new issuance businesses.
- Intelligently reviewing trading activity with the objective of informing a view around the valuation of the portfolio and also highlighting anything unusual or material to management. Identifying any trades booked incorrectly in the firm's trade processing systems.
- Production and analysis of the balance sheets for a trading desk and understanding and explanation of moves.
- Preparing monthly accounts for posting to the firm's general ledger and producing/reviewing relevant external disclosures.
- Monthly price verification review and challenge of trader inputs into inventory pricing as well as incremental assessment of less observable inputs.
- To interact effectively and pro-actively with traders and their management.
- Assessing risk inherent in trading positions, whether market, compliance or reputational risk etc.
- Developing an in depth knowledge of products and market awareness.
- Understanding of the impact of Regulatory Capital rules on a trading desk's ongoing and new business.
- Ensuring compliance with all the Firm's financial reporting requirements.
- Account and monitor for the Firm's secured and unsecured financing activities.
- Liaising with other Federation departments in a collaborative and problem-solving capacity.
- To be fully informed of all department developments and issues in their trading areas.
That you are highly motivated, with commercial focus and strong analytical and communication skills.
You enjoy being challenged, are team orientated and have good attention to detail You should have integrity, professional scepticism, a strong work ethic and a desire for excellence.
You have good interpersonal skills as complement to technical aptitude A desire to learn and interest in financial markets and products A track record of improving processes and adding value to clients/stakeholders.
Have a qualification as a Chartered Accountant, or other relevant professional financial qualification (e.g CFA). We will also consider part-qualified candidates currently on other bank ACA/or similar programmes