Group Financial Controller
Consultant Liam O'Flaherty
Date posted 21 May 20192019-05-21 2019-07-20 manufacturing-and-production Bradford West Yorkshire GB BD1 1AA GBP 50000 55000 55000 YEAR Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.co.uk https://www.robertwalters.co.uk/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/logo.gif
An exciting opportunity as a Group Financial Controller has arisen in Bradford. The firm delivers excellent customer service in over 25 businesses spanning more than 60 countries. The group is privately owned and passionately defends their hard-earned reputation for innovation, quality and integrity. They strive to impress customers and develop new and existing relationships. The Group Financial Controller Role is a key position in the drive to deliver excellence across the finance function. This role reports directly to the Group FD, managing the Head Office Finance team and providing cover for the Group FD when required.
An exciting opportunity as a Group Financial Controller has arisen in Bradford.
The firm delivers excellent customer service in over 25 businesses spanning more than 60 countries. The group is privately owned and passionately defends their hard-earned reputation for innovation, quality and integrity. They strive to impress customers and develop new and existing relationships. The Group Financial Controller Role is a key position in the drive to deliver excellence across the finance function. This role reports directly to the Group FD, managing the Head Office Finance team and providing cover for the Group FD when required.
The Group Financial Controller role will include the following (although this is not an exhaustive list):
- Cash position update – balance of available from PNC, actual balance form Bank, known commitments to suppliers etc.
- Raise bank payments for release by Group Finance Director
- Monitoring customer payments and issues – trying to prevent PNC retentions as part of monthly reconciliations (managing Group Credit Manager)
- Invoice uploads to PNC, including plans for ‘special cases’
- Management of Finance team
- Driving Sage X3 process improvements with IT and Accounts team
- Dealing with Ad Hoc queries in person, by email and telephone
- PNC stock return – data to extract from Sage X3 and present in PNC format (Friday)
- Weekly sales reports – for submission to Group and to circulate to MD’s (Monday)
- Cashflow forecasts including Head Office with agreed intra-company flows (Monday / Friday)
- Review and approval of weekly payrolls.
- Control account reconciliations to manage with Accounts team, including intra-group loan balances
- Review / Adjustment of multiple management accounts
- Reporting packs to create for MD’s, ideally with analysis and commentary covering significant issues and variances to budget to assist them in running the various businesses (including production units)
- PNC AR reconciliations – review returns pre-submissions to minimize retention and ensure action on problem customer accounts.
Less Regular Tasks
- Quarterly PNC stock valuation exercises to co-ordinate for multiple companies (Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct)
- Quarterly PNC AR audits to co-ordinate with their auditors (Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct)
- Budget process for various companies - with any re-forecasts. (Oct/Nov)
- Staff appraisals and reviews
- Annual audit files to create for Auditors (Dec / Jan)
- Annual payroll and P11D returns to HMRC (with accounts team)
Accounting Tasks (LCF)
- Driving daily sales recording (via process improvement) and cash allocation
- Managing cash flows (stock payments, supplier payments and contract management)
- Reporting to local management and Group (using a more focused template)
- Management accounts production from X3 and commentary
Any other suitable tasks the business feels are appropriate.
Based in Bradford the Financial Controller role is a financial/ Treasury management position needing strong reconciliation controls and expert level abilities with Excel. With large volumes of numbers to process this role requires an individual with great attention to detail and determination to get it right first time. Knowledge of the unique challenges of working for an established family business would be a distinct advantage. The successful candidate will also be a Qualified Chartered Accountant who ideally is educated to degree standard in a related subject. In addition, they will have an A Level of equivalent in Maths or related subject, advanced Excel skills and previous experience of managing a team. Knowledge of ERP is essential (preferably X3 Sage) and experience of working for a Family business would be a distinct advantage. Chartered Accountancy and Industry experience with a strong knowledge of published accounts is ideal, as well as the proven ability to adapt to a multi-level audience in order to provide information from board level through to guidance of junior staff.
Benefits of the Group Financial Controller include a competitive salary as well as other benefits including a health care scheme, gym facilities and 25 days holiday among others.