Director of Shared Services
Salary £80,000 - £90,000 per annum
Consultant Katherine Allwood
Date posted 08 February 201811 Slingsby Place, St Martin's Courtyard London, WC2E 9AB Robert Walters United Kingdom
J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, multi-disciplined engineering and construction company. They are looking for a new Head of Shared Service Centre, to join their newly created Shared Services Centre in Warrington.
The new Finance Shared Service Centre will support the business with functions including General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, Master Data and Project Accounting. Totalling around 70 staff, it is being set up to ultimately create focused continuous improvements across the finance team, more efficient ways of working, and an opportunity to provide first class service to the wider business. The set-up is being supported by the very best technology, and a ground-up review of new ways of working, to both maximise efficiencies and add value to the bottom line.
This Head of Shared Services position will lead this new Centre and help to embed the team and working practices, prior to running the centre on a day-to-day basis.
Director of Shared Service Centre role responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the Shared Service Centre (SSC) on a day-to-day basis. This will include the management of performance levels within the SSC, as it works with the wider business.
- Setting clear strategic objectives for the SSC. These will be worked out in conjunction with the Group Finance team.
- Setting policies that the SSC will be working towards, and ensuring the SSC meets all statutory reporting requirements.
- Negotiate Service Level Agreements and Performance Targets, for the Centre to meet.
- Ensuring processes are consistent and efficient across the SSC, and look at ways to automate and make improvements where required.
- Leading the SSC, and managing the leadership team within it. Ensuring that there is always growth potential for individuals, and that personal development objectives are met.
- Ultimately, ensure the service delivered is of a high standard to the rest of the business.
- Liaise with senior stakeholders from other departments to ensure the Centre is providing the level of capability and delivery required by a growing organisation.
Director of Shared Service Centre role requirements:
- Experienced Head of Shared Service Centre, who has ideally worked in a start-up environment
- Experience within a systems implementation would also be advantageous, particularly if the system was SAP, Oracle or Dynamics
- You must be comfortable leading a large centre and working with team members to ensure that work is produced to a high standard
- Part of this role will be around driving compliance across the business, and so you will be working to ensure that the wider business understands, and is on board, with any process changes that are implemented
- Strong business partner, who can win stakeholders over and get them on side, and deliver tough conversations to the wider business when required
About J. Murphy & Sons Limited
J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, multi-disciplined engineering and construction company. We are passionate about improving lives by delivering world-class infrastructure. Founded in 1951, and spanning the UK, Ireland and Canada, Murphy is going through an exciting 10-year change programme. This 10-year plan is ultimately for the business to grow, with turnover increasing from £800 million (2017), to £2 billion by 2025. A fundamental building block of this 10-year plan, is the establishment of a new Finance and Project Support Shared Service Centre based in Golborne, near Warrington. The new Finance Shared Service Centre will initially support the UK and Ireland businesses, including strong links with the Southern Head Office in London.
Murphy provides a range of construction services to the infrastructure sectors including rail, water, power and natural resources. This includes long term contracts, and one-off projects that are won by the business; working with local authorities and private businesses, as well as in joint ventures.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to come into this new SSC and make the role their own, whilst also having a huge impact on the Centre from the beginning. The wider business is fully supportive of this move to a Shared Service Centre set up, and sees it as a vital part of the 10-year plan for Murphy. This opportunity is truly unique in the North-West market.
For more information on this exciting role please contact Katherine Allwood on:
Katherine.email@example.com or apply via the link below.
Any third party applications will be sent directly to Robert Walters.